Pulse Top 5: POW! WOW! Hawaii, ‘Dog’ Chapman, more
BY JASON GENEGABUS / firstname.lastname@example.org
PICS: POW! WOW! HAWAII OPENING RECEPTION
1. Popular annual art and music event POW! WOW! Hawaii kicked off its 2014 campaign with an opening reception at the Honolulu Museum of Art School on Saturday. The annual event wraps up this weekend with a wrap party at M Nightclub on Saturday; see honolulupulse.com/powwowopening for more pictures from the reception, visit honolulupulse.com/1xrun for details on limited-edition artwork from Pow! Wow! Hawaii artists via Detroit-based art retailer 1xRUN, or go to honolulupulse.com/2014/02/pow-wow-hawaii-2014 for a story and schedule.
JO KOY AT THE REPUBLIK
2. Frequent Hawaii visitor Jo Koy returned for multiple sold-out performances on Maui and Oahu last weekend, including three shows at The Republik on Saturday and Sunday. See photos from the first sold-out show on Saturday at honolulupulse.com/koy2014, and read a review of Koy’s performance at honolulupulse.com/koyreview2014.
‘DOG’ CHAPMAN BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION
3. Bounty hunter turned celebrity Duane “Dog” Chapman celebrated his 61st birthday with more than 150 of his closest friends at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel on Feb. 6. Read more about the party at honolulupulse.com/dogparty; see honolulupulse.com/dogpartypics for the complete Pulse photo gallery and honolulupulse.com/dogpartyvideo for video from the evening.
PICS: 2014 PUNAHOU CARNIVAL
4. The weather was picturesque — with no rain — for the 2014 Punahou Carnival last weekend. Visit honolulupulse.com/puncarnival2014 for more photos from the fun on Feb. 7.
PICS: ‘SWAMP ROMP’ AT MARINE CORPS BASE HAWAII
5. Hundreds of adrenaline junkies descended upon Marine Corps Base Hawaii at Kaneohe Bay for the annual “Swamp Romp” obstacle course race on Saturday. Go to honolulupulse.com/swampromp2014 for additional pictures from the race.